Saturday, April 19, 2008

Boston...not common!

Why I love Boston, without irony.
  1. The Cars are from Boston. Say what you will, but Candy-O got me through the 80s and I still love it. There's one, maybe 2 listenable songs on the largely embarrassing Heartbeat City, I don't recommend it. No, Candy-O is their magnum Opus.

  2. "...in the olden days, there were huge tanks of molasses all along the dock area." While that may sound delicious, Boston is the only city I know of in which people were killed in a molasses flood.

  3. The Red Sox.

  4. Boston is from Boston. It would be funnier if Boston were from the Midwest or something, especially is they were from Kansas, but I'm so amused by the utter lack of creativity in their name it actually increases my fondness for the city. "Fondness" is not even quite appropriate here...my love of Beantown is More Than a Feeling.

  5. The Big Dig. Very cool project, and always a delightful conversation piece.

  6. Boston built the first subway system in the United States (please see Hartford's entry on how I feel about "firsts" .)

  7. Purely coincidentally, I'm writing this on Patriots' Day, celebrated each third Monday in April.

  8. There is a house just north of Boston, in Rockport, made entirely of newspaper, including the furniture. The home's fireplace is operable, which seems a little risky to me.
  9. Spenser, for Hire was from Boston. You got a murder mystery that needs solvin'? You can go to Spenser and he'll do it for the love of the game, with some help from his friend Hawk, asking only a return favor as payment.
  10. Aerosmith is also from Boston. Bostonites (Bostonians? Bostoners? Whatever) just gotta rock.

  11. Engle Martin has an office in Boston! This group of EMAers includes Rick Haggis, Scott Bowers and Jennifer Waterman. For Labor Day in May they'll be cleaning up the beach, the boat ramps and the river area for the Westport Fishermen's Association. Have a wicked good day, guys.

No comments: