Tuesday, March 18, 2008

If you thought "organge" was tough, try rhyming something with "Houston"

It's back to Texas we go for a word about Houston. The Houston office, comprised of Lance Griger (welcome!), Andy McRae, Jose Rochin and Tu Vu plans to spend May 15th with the Houston Read Commission. No, they will not be just sitting around reading all day. I think. The Houston Read Commission, according to its mission statement, exists to help adult Houstonians achieve their full potential through literacy, and to contribute to the workforce to ensure a strong economy and a promising future for the city of Houston.


First of all, it's interesting to know that Houston residents are called "Houstonians", I might have gone with "Houstonites" but what do I know? Next, this sounds like a fantastic group with which to work. I can't wait to hear what the Engle Martin Houstonians will be doing for them.


Houston is, according to itself, Magnolia City. Do not address mail to Magnolia City, though, it's just a nickname. Houston used to be small potatoes compared to Galveston but Mother Nature declared Houston was her favorite when she pummeled Galveston with a hurricane in 1906 (unnamed, can you believe it? I wonder what the property adjusters called it while reminiscing over drinks) and all the shipping moved up river to Houston's ship channel. Astroturf was invented in Houston for the Astros and I know not a day goes by when we don't all thank God for that stuff. Rice University, which makes its home in Houston, boasts an oak tree for every student on campus and has a staff of horticulturists on hand to care for every one of them.


Just to show up Atlanta, Houston has not one, not two but three perimeters around the city (yikes!). The place must look like a target from space. Show-offs.


There's no shortage of famous people who were raised in and around Houston. I can't guarantee they were born there because I do only the remotest research and have no fact-checkers on staff. In fact, a lot of what I write here I made up. I just made that up! OK, so some of the famous Houstonians we know and love include Debbie Allen (of Fame! fame), Wes Anderson, Hilary Duff, Jennifer Garner, the Quaid brothers, Jacklyn Smith (of K-Mart fame), Dan Rather (also knows what it's like to lack fact checkers), Patrick Swayze and Renee Zellweger to name a few. I believe Sam Houston is from there...


Ten-gallon hats off to Houston! Have a fantastic Labor Day in May, guys.

No comments: